our logo

Jan Afford Ltd A specialist international dealer and collector of fine pre 1945 René Lalique and loetz glass.

Loetz (1836-1947)

Although the original factory was founded in 1836 and was a large industrial company, we think of it when it was sold to Franz Gerstner and his wife Susanna in 1851.

Susanna expanded the company greatly, prior to transferring ownership to her grandson Maximilian Von Spaun in 1879.

It was from 1880 the company modernized with the times, hiring Eduard Prochaska and created some of the most artistically accomplished works of art glass in the world.

During the Art Nouveau period, collaborations were made with highly renowned artists and designers such as Marie Kirschner, Josef Hoffmann, Franz Hofstötter and Otto Prutscher.

The factory continued to manufacture utilitarian glassware throughout the World War, but ultimately closed down in 1947





BIBLIOGRAPHY

Lötz Austria 1905-1918
Written by Waltraud Neuwirth
Published by W. Neuwirth

Lötz Böhimisches Glas 1880 -1940
Band 1
Published by Prestel
Written by Jan Mergl, Duna Panenkova and Wolfgang Hennig

Lötz Böhimisches Glas 1880 -1940
Band 2
Published by Prestel
Written by Jan Mergl, Duna Panenkova and Wolfgang Hennig

click
©2018 Jan Afford Limited is powered by WebStall
Cookies are set by this site. To decline them or find out more visit our cookie page